Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I went and filed my taxes only to realize after they were sent that I reported my stimulus relief wrong. How do I fix it? Who do I contact?

I don't know if I was tired or what, but I accidentally put $600 in both spaces for received stimulus. I actually received $1200 the first time and $600 the second time checks were sent out. I've already filed and didn't realize my mistake until today. What can I do to fix this, and who do I contact?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I went and filed my taxes only to realize after they were sent that I reported my stimulus relief wrong. How do I fix it? Who do I contact?

TurboTax has established a procedure for taxpayers with this same Recovery Rebate Credit situation.  Please see the TurboTax Help article I've already claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I review and update my 2020 tax return? for guidance.

The IRS requires you to report all relevant stimulus information when you’re filing your return.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

TurboTax has established a procedure for taxpayers with this same Recovery Rebate Credit situation.  Please see the TurboTax Help article I've already claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit. How can I review and update my 2020 tax return? for guidance.

The IRS requires you to report all relevant stimulus information when you’re filing your return.

Thank you very much. I went ahead and entered my information - the article says I should receive a notification on the 8th to let me know that I can update my forms and send them again. I appreciate the help! I feel a bit ridiculous for my error, but at least it's fixable.

I submitted to be able to update my taxes after receiving and email on the 8th (today).  But I never received any email.  Have you received an email yet? 

BrandiLO
Intuit Alumni

These types of emails are usually sent out in waves throughout the day. If you do not see the email in your inbox, please be sure to check your junk/spam folder. If you do not get the email today, please be sure to let us know.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@BrandiLO I got two emails, signed in, but was brought to the same page as usual. It doesn't say anything about changing the information. What am I supposed to be clicking or seeing to change the information I need to change?

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If you return was sent back to you at your request, then there will not be any alert or message for you.   What you need to do is review and update or change the stimulus money you received.

The link below will show you what the IRS has on file for your stimulus payments.

• Get My Payment - Select the button Get My Payment to see if your information is current based on the payments you did receive. If so, then it's another confirmation the IRS will not release the funds a second time.

Next, review the payments you entered for stimulus checks received:

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
  7. Resubmit your tax return for e-file

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies