`

I've used turbo tax via CD in previous years. Now I've signed up to do it online. I Can't access previous years tax returns! How do I get my previous tax returns?

If you used the cd/download versions of TurboTax previously and need copies of your returns, you will need to search your hard drive because they are stored locally on your computer. The TurboTax FAQ link below provides instructions on how to search your hard drive for your return.

If you are unable to find them on your computer, you can also request a transcript of your return by contacting the IRS. When requesting your copy, you can choose either a tax return transcript, which is free, or an exact copy which costs $50 (the fee may be waived in Presidentially-declared disaster areas).

Tax return transcripts include most line items from the originally-filed Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040-EZ return. They're available back to 2013 and take 5-10 days to arrive in your mailbox.

Order your transcript online or by mail from the IRS Get Transcript website or by calling their toll-free number 1-800-908-9946.

Exact copies include your W-2s and all attachments, and are generally available for returns filed for the current and past six years. To order, fill out Form 4506. Please allow up to 75 days for delivery.

For more information on how to order a transcript from the IRS, see IRS Tax Topic 156.