turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've just noticed this year, that the IRS is requesting the date that I was ordered to pay alimony, In order to claim that deduction. I live in Pennsylvania and I've been trying to reach my local dome

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

I've just noticed this year, that the IRS is requesting the date that I was ordered to pay alimony, In order to claim that deduction. I live in Pennsylvania and I've been trying to reach my local dome

As a result of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, you may only deduct alimony payments that are required under a divorce or separation agreement that was executed before December 31, 2018.  If your divorce or separation was finalized after that date, the payments that you have made will not be deductible.  Therefore, the TurboTax program will ask for additional information in order to verify whether the alimony payments are deductible or not.

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more information:  Can I deduct alimony I paid to my ex-spouse?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you don't know the actual date then don't fret ... if you know the year then simply enter 1/1 and the year. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies