Solved: I used the wrong tax form. This is the first time I'm doing my taxes and IRS sent me a letter about them receiving a 1040. All I wanted to do is W-2 form. what do I do?

eric_f101

I used the wrong tax form. This is the first time I'm doing my taxes and IRS sent me a letter about them receiving a 1040. All I wanted to do is W-2 form. what do I do?

Yeah I guessed right!

Your W-2 is the document you received from your employer that shows how much you earned and how much was withheld from your pay for taxes and Social Security, etc.  The Form 1040 is your tax return.  ?The 1040 is what you prepare and file with the IRS to request your tax refund.

What does your letter from the IRS say?  There is a letter number or CP number in the top corner.  What is that?
And what tax year is the letter about?

Did you efile your tax return or mail it in?  If you mailed it, then what form did you mail?  Was it a 1040 or a 1040X or something else?
eric_f101

This letter is about verifying my identity so I'm assuming its a 5071C but it says they got a 1040, which I meant to do a w-2 but I didn't know I did this wrong. The tax year is 2018
eric_f101

Also I did this by e-file

And again--the 1040 is your tax return. You entered information FROM your W-2 onto the Form 1040.  You are "assuming" it is a 5071C?  What does it say?  What does the IRS want you to do?
eric_f101

I'm only asking this because my father says I did this wrong because on my form it says self-employed which I'm not, I work for a company. the IRS wants to confirm my identity

Not sure what form you are referring to that says you are self-employed, or if your father understands how you filed.  Follow the instructions given in the letter to verify your identity to the IRS.  If you need help with those please post back and we will try to help.

Where does it show or say self employed on your return?  Does your return include a Schedule C?  Did you really get a W2 or was it a 1099misc?

Were taxes withheld from your pay?  When you look at pay stubs from your checks was tax being held out?  Social Security or Medicare being withheld?  We are trying to figure out if you really got a document called a W-2 or a 1099Misc and maybe entered it in the wrong place on your tax return.

I bet he saw where it says Self-Prepared in the middle of the page.  That just means you did it yourself and didn't go to a tax place or accountant.  Or on what form does it say self employed?

Did you save the forms/documents you used when you prepared your tax return?  The papers you got from the employer?
eric_f101

So my father was confused. He assumed that Self-Prepared meant self-employed. This was on a 1040 form that I submitted a few weeks ago. The only paper I got from my employer was a W-2 form which I used to submit my tax information onto my 1040 and submitted it.

The IRS is having more people verify identity as a way to prevent fraud and identity theft.  Just give them what they need so they can move along with processing your tax return and sending your refund to you.

Yeah I guessed right!