sgreene1

I teach an evening course at a local college but create presentations and print materials at home. Are my software subscriptions services and printing costs deductible?

Marketstar

Yes, you can deduct all are ordinary and necessary expenses needed to perform your job duties.

Employee business expenses are miscellaneous deductions which you can only deduct if you itemize your deductions (medical, mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable deductions, ect) and if the total of your miscellaneous expenses (including employee business expenses) are greater than 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income. So, you may not gain a tax benefit for this deduction.

For example, if you itemize your deductions and your Adjusted Gross income is $50,000, 2% would equal $1,000.

You can only deduct the dollar amount that exceeds $1,000.

When you enter it, TurboTax will give the maximum benefit, if any.

To report employee business expenses in TurboTax:

• Click My Account (Top right of your screen).

• Select Tools.

• In the pop up window, select Topic Search.

• In the search bar, type in  2106

• Highlight it and select GO, and follow the prompts.