turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a penalty amount on my new york state taxes. I thought I had filed an extension with TurboTax as I filed after the deadline.

The late filing penalty makes up the majority of the amount due. I thought TurboTax had helped me file an extension, but I was still charged the late penalty. Is there any way I can get this removed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a penalty amount on my new york state taxes. I thought I had filed an extension with TurboTax as I filed after the deadline.

If you used the "FULL SERVICE" option then you will need to contact the tax pro you used ... they are the only ones that have that information.  

View solution in original post

10 Replies

@ccvwzh6b2trw79 an extension is an extenion to submit the tax return.  it is not an extension of the date any money is owed.  '

The money was still due on April 15; only the requirment to submit the paperwork was extended.

Thank you for the quick response. I guess my question is if it is typical in NY state that the penalty amount is so high? It is 5% per month on the amount owed, compared to far lower rates on the federal level.

here is how IRS and NY State determine 'failure to pay' penalties 

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/file/interest_and_penalties.htm

https://www.irs.gov/payments/failure-to-pay-penalty

Thank you! Does TurboTax not offer an extension on state taxes? I recall I filed federal but not sure if that covered state as well. I did the full service so I'm a little bit surprised by this.

Know this is a bit in the weeds question but thank you for the quick help!

@ccvwzh6b2trw79 

You are confused ... there are 2 possible penalties.  Failure to file and failure to pay.  The extension only relieves you of the failure to file penalty but the estimated balance due should have been paid with the extension.  

So which penalty did they impose ?  

Thank you - it was "because your return was filed late". I used the full service from TurboTax so I'm a bit confused how I didn't file an extension on my state when I did my federal...

I'm just a bit confused how this wasn't included in my full service. Is this something that is typically handled on the user (my) side or usually captured within full service? I may just call Turbotax tomorrow to understand.

Did you file the NY extension at all ?   NY doesn't "piggyback" off the federal ... they require their own form to be filed and you had to initiate this in the state's interview section. 

How do I request an extension for my state if I used TurboTax Easy Extension?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899449

New York (NY)

You can e-file an extension by April 18 at this dedicated TurboTax link. You can also print an extension with TurboTax that you mail in. Start your NY return, if you haven't already done so, and look for the extension question. If you don't see it, step through your NY return again from the beginning. The state of New York will not accept a copy of federal Form 4868 in place of Form IT-370.

The extension gives you until October 15 to file. If you owe, submit payment by April 18 to avoid penalties and interest, either by paying with your extension or by going to their Online Services site.

If you used the "FULL SERVICE" option then you will need to contact the tax pro you used ... they are the only ones that have that information.  

Ughh...I don't see any email saying that I did. Thank you; I'm not sure why this wasn't one of the required steps during my full service. I'll try to resolve with TurboTax. 

Appreciate the help.

Yeah I'll need to contact them. Thank you!

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies