turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jumae8

I received a 1099R after I filed my taxes. Do I need to file an amended return, or can I include this on next year's return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErinH
Intuit Alumni

I received a 1099R after I filed my taxes. Do I need to file an amended return, or can I include this on next year's return?

Yes, the 1099-R will need to be included with your 2017 return. Since you have already filed you will need to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return. In the meanwhile, do not go in and make any changes to your return.  

• If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes and re-submit your return.  
  • If the IRS accepts your return, you must wait until it has been fully processed and you receive your refund or have paid your balance due to amend. You will need to prepare an amended tax return on a 1040X and mail it in if the new info changes your refund or tax due amount. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes up to 16 weeks for the IRS to process an amended return. 3 weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site. 

Amendment instructions can be found here:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6602873

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies