Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andrew35

I received $6558 tuition assistance from my former employer in '19 and left in '20. I paid taxes on $2250 of it. I was denied a W2C. Should I amend my '19 return income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I received $6558 tuition assistance from my former employer in '19 and left in '20. I paid taxes on $2250 of it. I was denied a W2C. Should I amend my '19 return income?

Only the amounts of tuition assistance exceeding $5,250 should have been taxed. Since the amount is under $3,000, the only option is to file an amended return. The Claim of Right alternative is for amounts over $3,000.

If you choose to amend, for steps on how to get the CD/Download for 2019 and upload the .tax2019 file, see: How do I amend(change) a prior year? You will need to convert to TurboTax CD/Download for the 2019 tax rules.

To reduce your income without Form W-2C, create an offsetting adjustment in Other Reportable Income. This will only reduce your withholding tax, not the Social Security and Medicare portion, or 7.65%. To do this in TurboTax, follow these steps:

1. From the left menu, go to Federal and select the first tab, Wages & Income.
  2. Add the adjustment by scrolling down to the last option, Less Common Income, and Show more.
  3. Scroll down to the last option, Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C and Start.
  4. Choose the last option, Other reportable income and Start and Yes.
  5. Enter the applicable description and amount and Continue.
    • Enter the adjustment to your wages for the tuition assistance that was returned as a negative amount.
    • ​​​​​​For the cost description, include Tuition Reimbursement Returned 

andrew35

Thank you!

I was in a similar situation and paid back all tuition payments my former employer gave me. That means I should have a W-2c for 2020 and 2019. They told me they could not provide me a W-2c for 2019 as I only repaid them in 2020&2021. Is this correct?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies