turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owe taxes from 2008-2012 for some reason, can you help?

I need the IRS number to settle the matter before I file.
This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Would you like to view more questions that might be relevant?
3 Replies

I owe taxes from 2008-2012 for some reason, can you help?

You can view your account on the IRS web site:





The information you can view on your account also includes ways to pay, including how to set up a payment plan if needed.



It is very difficult to call the IRS at this time.



To call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.


**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I owe taxes from 2008-2012 for some reason, can you help?

If you have prior year balance dues (that you are not disputing )  then file the 2020 return asap so the refund can be used to pay off or down that debt ... the longer you wait the more it costs you in penalties and interest.  

I owe taxes from 2008-2012 for some reason, can you help?

can you provide more information. it would be highly unusual that you would be hearing from the IRS for the first time for taxes you owe from the years you cite.    if you got previous notices which you ignored you may not have any recourse.


if you want help

The Audit Defense service is provided by TaxResources, Inc., also called TaxAudit.com, in partnership with TurboTax. If you paid for Audit Defense and you received an IRS notice, call TaxResources, Inc. at 877-829-9695, or report your IRS notice on their web site at http://intuit.taxaudit.com/. Do not contact the IRS until you have spoken to TaxResources. They may contact the IRS on your behalf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies