turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to remove an adult dependant I thought I could claim her since she only made less than 1000 but she is going to file her taxes so I need to remove her

Just filed and I need to remove Leah Jones
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

I need to remove an adult dependant I thought I could claim her since she only made less than 1000 but she is going to file her taxes so I need to remove her

If you have already filed your return, you won't be able to make any changes until your return has been accepted or rejected by the IRS. If rejected, you would need to correct any information that caused your return to be rejected as well as make any other changes to your return that you see fit, then proceed to resubmit your return. If accepted, you would need to amend your return. You can follow the instructions in this FAQ here to amend your 2020 tax return. If you have not yet filed your return, you can follow the instructions here to remove a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can still claim someone as a dependent if they made less than 4,300 and lived with you all year.  Or is she your daughter?    How old?  She will have to check the box on her return that says she can be claimed on someone else's return even if you do not claim her.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies