turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need copies (transcript) for 2005 and 2006 tax returns from the IRS. Is this possible to go back that far?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Melaine

I need copies (transcript) for 2005 and 2006 tax returns from the IRS. Is this possible to go back that far?

In order to receive past returns you will be able to do so as follows;

Returns 3 years and under;  You can complete the online request form.
Older than 3 years; You can call the transcript hotline at 800-908-9946 to order by phone or you may complete the transcript request form # 4506

Please see the IRS Getting copies of tax transcripts for more information and for a link to form # 4506

View solution in original post

22 Replies
Melaine

In order to receive past returns you will be able to do so as follows;

Returns 3 years and under;  You can complete the online request form.
Older than 3 years; You can call the transcript hotline at 800-908-9946 to order by phone or you may complete the transcript request form # 4506

Please see the IRS Getting copies of tax transcripts for more information and for a link to form # 4506
ad1

How do i retrieve my filing status from 2001, 2002 and 2003
Josh00711

I need a copy of my transcript from 2006 to 2015 tax return

Josh00711

I need a copy of my transcript from 2006 to 2015

@Josh00711 

IRS Federal Tax Return transcripts are only available for the current tax year and the 3 years prior.

IRS Federal Tax Account transcripts are available for the current tax year and up to 10 prior years.

See this IRS website for transcript types - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-return-transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them

You can order a copy of a federal tax return using Form 4506.  There is a $50 fee for each tax return requested.  Copies of Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ are generally available for 7 years from filing before they are destroyed by law.

IRS Form 4506 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

Hi,

I need my transcripts for 2006 tax returns from the IRS for a state tax issue. can you assist?

@dmuhammad521 wrote:

Hi,

I need my transcripts for 2006 tax returns from the IRS for a state tax issue. can you assist?

As stated in the message that is posted directly above your message -

IRS Federal Tax Return transcripts are only available for the current tax year and the 3 years prior.

IRS Federal Tax Account transcripts are available for the current tax year and up to 10 prior years.

See this IRS website for transcript types - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-return-transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them

You can order a copy of a federal tax return using Form 4506.  There is a $50 fee for each tax return requested.  Copies of Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ are generally available for 7 years from filing before they are destroyed by law.

IRS Form 4506 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

Cindy817

How can I get a copy of tax return for 2005

@Cindy817 wrote:

How can I get a copy of tax return for 2005

The IRS only retains federal tax returns for the last 7 years.  TurboTax only retains online tax returns for the last 7 years.

AngD

Did you get this resolved? Because I am in the same bubble and can’t get through to any help. I need 2010

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@AngD

You can see the above resolution from @DoninGA.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did you figure out if you could use IRS forms 4506-T to get your 2005 and 2006 tax transcripts or did you have to do something else?  Thanks for any insight you can offer.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

You can contact the IRS and request a copy of your transcript. IRS Transcripts

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You can only get transcripts back 5 years which also includes tax returns. If you need tax accounts you can go back 10 years. They do not keep tax returns past 5 years

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies