Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I´m a non resident of the US and used Turbotax. I need to admend my tax return and send the correct form: form 1040NR instead of 1040. How do I submit this document?

Can I use e-file to amend my tax return? How can I file up correctly my 1040NR form?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
KristinaK
Expert Alumni

I´m a non resident of the US and used Turbotax. I need to admend my tax return and send the correct form: form 1040NR instead of 1040. How do I submit this document?

Yes, you should be able to e-file your amended resident tax return through TurboTax. Read more about it here

Then, you will need to prepare a Form 1040NR. TurboTax doesn't support this form but you can use SprinTax to do that. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks for your answer. Just to be sure I understand. I should e-file a 1040-x through Turbotax saying in the explenation of changes that I should´ve done a 1040NR? And then go in Sprintax and file a 1040NR document? How does that work to submit the 1040NR and not get the money again, don´t I´ve to submit both forms together and then pay them back the amount I owe them? Also, in my 2022 form I added my 2021 W2 and I think I wasn´t supposed to do that either, how do I amend that? Hope you can help me I´m very confused. Thank you

There was a 1099 I received from Edward Jones after I had filed my 2022 taxes.  Oklahoma state now says I need to return a refund.  I'm guessing there is something I also need to do federally as in re-filing or amend my 2022 taxes.   Can you help me?

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

Whether or not you need to file an amended federal tax return depends upon what was reported on the Edward Jones Form 1099.  If the only thing that was reported was interest and/or dividends, then you probably don't need to file an amended return.  This is because the IRS, who also receives the 1099 information, will realize you did not report the interest/dividend income and they will propose an adjustment to your return via mail.  If you agree, you don't have to do anything.  If your Form 1099 includes the sale of investments (or other items) then you should amend your return.

If you do need to amend your return, or if you don't want to wait for the IRS to make the adjustment, and you used TurboTax to prepare your return, it's pretty straight forward: 

If you originally filed your return with TurboTax, we can help streamline the steps outlined above. If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.” If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.”  You will be able to amend your state as well.

See the following TurboTax Help article on filing amended returns:

How to Correct Federal Tax Returns 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies