turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Wh did I received a 4883C Letter from the IRS?

I called again to verify and they told me that I have to go into the office to be verified. And they can't even get me in for 3 weeks.

Has anyone else had to go into their state office to be verified? If so, what did they do during the office meeting?
mpettus81

Why do you have to go in

Because they said they couldn't verify me over the phone.
mpettus81

That's weird did you answer something wrong

Not to my knowledge. But they didn't ask me alot of questions either. Basically my name, ss, bday, address, and if I had done my taxes.
mpettus81

That's crazy

I agree!!! So I guess I'll just have to wait it out and see what's going on.

I received same letter, called and was on hold for 60 mins, answered 15 questions,  like how much was your taxable income last year,  how much r u expecting for 2016, did you file single, married etc for 2015, 2016, what address did you have on 2015 return, what's you mothers maiden name what is your father's first and last name where were you born when is your birthday social security number employer address employer employer EIN #, how much federal taxes were withheld for 2015, 2016, how is your refund coming to you? Direct deposit or check, confirm routing # and account #.  I caled on Tuesday Feb 21, 2017 & today Feb 25, 2017 my return was approved and my refund will be deposited on Wednesday, March 1st, so it DID NOT TAKE 9 WEEKS, less than 1 week, 4 days after I called it was approved, and my refund will be in my account in 3 business days. Today is Saturday, so I'm sure if it was a week day when it was approved, I would have received it even sooner. I'm so relieved because I have been using Turbo Tax for 13 years and I've never received the letter 4883C, I was so upset hearing it would take 9 more weeks, I anticipated it weeks ago. So don't be discouraged over the 9 weeks they tell you.

Were u able to order transcripts also

I didn't Request one, I doubt it cause they only do the verifying, there's another # to call to order transcripts from what I remember on their website. I asked why I received letter, she said let me look and said they have lots of filters they run and I think it was because my routing number from 2015 was wrong, I entered it wrong, or my employers EIN# CHANGED and company name changed. Regardless it's my money, I had way too much withheld and it's unfair they hold it like this cause I don't see anything fraudulent from this return versus all my prior ones. Anyway, don't stress, the whole 9 week thing is probably just so people won't keep calling back. Of course the hold times are ridiculous. Good luck. Again the call last less than 10 mins and I was calm and appreciative she said she would get mine pushed through. I didn't go off on her like she said so many others have over having to wait 9 weeks, but from so many others I'd read similar,  they all received it after less than a week not 9 weeks.

I still just don't understand why I have to go into the office. My banking account number did change from last year as well as my mailing address.

And on top of that having to wait almost a month to be able to go in and get verified is kind of a joke!

I live in TX so we don't have state income tax, so I'm sorry that sucks that you can't go in anytime that you have to schedule an appointment,  ugh I'd be fuming. Not fair to hard working tax payers. People that submit fraudulent returns should all go to prison for life cause we get penalized for their actions. I understand why, but the process needs to be easier and not such a long drawn out process cause people depend on their refund. we suffer and are helpless, the IRS has all the control.

Oh my bad, so if you miss one question you have to go into a local IRS office and you can't go in until weeks later. Wow, that sucks. If you didn't have your returns in front of you and probably told them a different address, that's ridiculous! Before I called I went over both returns and w2s which you don't even need if you have all your worksheets from your return printed out. But after answering all the questions I worried for no reason. The questions were so easy as long as you have your 2015 and 2016 returns in front of you and W2's if you don't have all your worksheets. Wow that really isn't fair having to go into local office and on their schedule. I don't know what I would have done if that happened to me. So sorry yall have to deal with that. Ughhh
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies