jendselden

Wh did I received a 4883C Letter from the IRS?

I have been filing my taxes of Turbo tax for years and never had this happen?

MollsBBU

At this point, the IRS is not examining or auditing your return. They are looking more closely at some of the information on it - the specific things they are reviewing are probably listed on your notice.

This is not necessarily something to be very worried about. (It is always at least a little disconcerting to get a notice from the IRS)  At this point, they are simply looking more closely at some of the information on your tax return. This Forbes article can give you some more information.

According to the IRS link:

What you must do:

• Call the toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number at 800-830-5084.
      • Have a copy of the 4883C letter you received, a copy of your prior year tax return (if you filed one) and your most recently filed tax return (if you filed one), as well as any supporting documentation for each years return (such as W-2’s, 1099’s, Schedule C, Schedule F, etc.) when you call.

The toll-free IRS Identity Verification telephone number is available for you to call even if you haven't filed a tax return for this year.

This contact information is only for taxpayers who received Letter 4883C. The toll-free number is for identity verification only. No other tax-related information, including refund status, is available.

For more information, please see the IRS link  Understanding Your 4883C Letter.

If the IRS does request more information or does not provide you with more information within the time frame given in the notice, you may want to get assistance from a tax professional (CPA or tax lawyer). It usually helps to have assistance from someone who regularly deals with the IRS.

[edited 2/25/2017]

MollsBBU

According to the IRS link:

What you must do:

[edited 2/25/2017]

dadandcorwan

I was under path act so on 16 got letter called same day and verified.  She said 9 weeks.  However last year had been  no problems but  2014 taxes I got similar letter did neccesary steps.  Received state taxes a week later but never got federal.  So I asked when on the phone about those years,  she looked it up and said oh I see you didn't receive refund for 2014 she done whatever for a minute or two came back and  said I should expect it in the mail no date though.   Just saying,  for every negative comes positive. Hope all gos well for everyone
mpettus81

What do they ask you?
albert5109e

What did they ask you?
youngmaryjoe401

They asked the reason the the call, "4883C", for Social Security #, address, which tax year, the control # on the letter, the amount of the refund and a couple other questions, pretty easy process.
camilliawiley

What kinda other questions
camilliawiley

What kinda other questions
camilliawiley

Was it a long process
youngmaryjoe401

Simple questions, I can't remember for sure...They weren't any about my W2's. Maybe that was all she did ask. I was so stressed last night, but was a very simple process.
camilliawiley

Just did mines went well she said 9 weeks soooo happy its finally over!!!!!
brandon1600

So after you answer all the questions you'll definitely receive your refund in 9 weeks?
camilliawiley

Up to 9 weeks i seen where ppl got it in a week or 2
mpettus81

Do I need my actual return to answer questions or what do they ask?
camilliawiley

Ok look ima tell you all the questions they asked since other PEOPLE gave me such a hard time about what all questions they asked:
Name
Ss
Address
Bday
Where i worked at in 2015
Did i have a w2
How many dependents i claimed
Name of them
Ss of them
Bday of them
Moms name
Dads name
Place of birth
Had me on hole for like 2-3 she said she was typing in something came back said i passed it would take up to 9 weeks....said im put back in to processing
***now those were my questions i seen were they asked other people other questions the whole thing took about 8-10 mins but it could be longer for others
Hope this helps GOOD LUCK