I just filed and realized I didnt add donations. H...
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I just filed and realized I didnt add donations. How can I go back or at least file?

2 Replies
Level 15

I just filed and realized I didnt add donations. How can I go back or at least file?

Before you panic -- did you even have enough itemized deductions to itemize?  Or did you use your standard deduction?  If you used standard deduction then donations will have no effect.  


Most people do not even have enough itemized deductions now to use their itemized deductions like mortgage interest and property tax since the standard deduction nearly doubled for 2018 and beyond.


If you did itemize--or you have so many donations it will affect your tax due or refund:



You cannot change or add anything on the return that you just e-filed, nor can you stop it.  It is too late, just like when you put an envelope in a US mailbox on the corner.


If you left out a W-2, or a dependent, or a 1099 etc…DO NOT change your return while it is pending.  The changes will go nowhere.


Now you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If your return is rejected, you will be able to go into your account and make the necessary changes to your tax return and re-submit your return.


 If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return and mail it in. You have to be able to work from that return exactly the way it was when it was e-filed originally.  You will need to use a form called a 1040X. You cannot e-file an amended return.  They have to be mailed, and it takes about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.


 Meanwhile, DO NOT go in and start changing anything on your return in the system, or you will make a mess for yourself.  Sit tight and wait until you see what the IRS does with the return you just e-filed

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Texas Roger
Level 15

I just filed and realized I didnt add donations. How can I go back or at least file?

If your return is rejected by the IRS, you can correct the problem and fix the reason for rejection and re-efile your return. If your return is accepted by the IRS, you must prepare, print, sign and mail an amended tax return form 1040X to correct the problem.


DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return. Wait until you receive the refund from your original return before beginning your amended return to make sure you enter the correct amount. Here is an FAQ to help you:


Make sure you are already itemizing deductions or would have enough deductions to itemize after adding the donations before actually completing an amended return. You won't get any tax benefit unless adding the donations increases your deductions and even then you may not have a tax liability without the deductions. 

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings