turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have already filed both my state and federal taxes for 2017. I just received a 1098 form for mortgage interest statement. Do I need to amend my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ModestaL

I have already filed both my state and federal taxes for 2017. I just received a 1098 form for mortgage interest statement. Do I need to amend my taxes?

No, you don't have to file your 1098 Mortgage Interest Statement if you don't want to. However, if the interest you paid on your mortgage is larger than your standard tax deduction amount, you would benefit by itemizing and all the rest of your deductible expenses (including real estate taxes, state and local income taxes, and charitable donations) are additions to this deduction.

Nonetheless, if you decide to amend your taxes, wait until the IRS accept your return and you have received your refund to make changes (add your Mortgage Interest Statement). You will need to send in any forms that caused the need for an amendment (Original 1040 Form, new 1040X Form and Mortgage Interest Statement. Print, sign and mail your forms to the IRS.

Click here for instructions for amending a return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ModestaL

No, you don't have to file your 1098 Mortgage Interest Statement if you don't want to. However, if the interest you paid on your mortgage is larger than your standard tax deduction amount, you would benefit by itemizing and all the rest of your deductible expenses (including real estate taxes, state and local income taxes, and charitable donations) are additions to this deduction.

Nonetheless, if you decide to amend your taxes, wait until the IRS accept your return and you have received your refund to make changes (add your Mortgage Interest Statement). You will need to send in any forms that caused the need for an amendment (Original 1040 Form, new 1040X Form and Mortgage Interest Statement. Print, sign and mail your forms to the IRS.

Click here for instructions for amending a return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies