turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I enter information from a Grantor Letter?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

137 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

The Grantor Letter or Information Sheet is a transmittal document, copied to the IRS, showing you as a recipient of various forms of income, and possibly having certain deductible expenses. Enter the information listed in the Grantor Letter in the places where you normally would, had you paid or received these items directly instead of through a trust.

You report each income and expense item as if you had received an equivalent 1099, using the name and EIN of the Trust as the payer.  So treat interest as if a 1099-INT, dividends as if a 1099-DIV, Gains and Losses as if a 1099-B, etc.

Some of the more common items and where to add them include the following:

Income Items

Click on Federal Taxes > Wages & Income  [In TT Home & Biz:  Personal > Personal Income ]
  • Taxable interest and dividendsInterest and Dividends > Interest on 1099-INT [or Dividends on 1099-DIV]
  • Ordinary income - Investment Income > Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other [or one of the other categories listed]
  • Capital gains and losses - Investment Income > Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other

Deductible expenses

1. Click on Federal Taxes > Deductions & Credits  [In TT Home & Biz:  Personal > Deductions & Credits > I'll choose what I work on].
  2. Go to the appropriate section, like Your Home > Property Taxes or Charitable Donations > Donations to Charity in 2015.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, that is very helpful.  You did not address where to enter Passive Income (Loss) from a Grantor letter??  Please advise -
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

It depends on what the passive income/loss is from.  Passive income generally includes dividends, interest, royalties, rents, annuities, etc.
If you don't know the type of activity that generated the passive income, enter it as interest or dividends.

It is a passive loss from Partnerships.  Still enter a loss as interest or divs?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

yes
kbirck

I have a capital loss of around 13K from sale of family home and investments, both in the trust.  But when I enter the numbers in the interview part of Turbo Tax it looks right, but the Federal review takes me to a  form (Schedule D?) where the numbers are shown in the wrong places.  My capital loss shows up as the Gross Proceeds, with the actual sale price (net proceeds on interview) on the line for expenses and commissions, and the cost basis on the next line.  Is this a glitch?  Can I enter directly into a Schedule D?
Anonymous
Not applicable

My trust's grantor letter says the long-term capital gain is from an installment sale. It has a form 6252 attached for the trust. I don't recreate a new 6252 in Turbo Tax for me, do I (with pro-rated values)? That doesn't seem right, but neither did entering it as a 1099-B since that's not what the IRS received from the trust. What do I do?
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

I would create a 6252 in your return with the information from the Trust, since there is no K-1.  Form 6252 reports principal and interest payments on an installment sale not only in the year of the sale, but also payments received in the future.

Hi, is there an answer that's missing from this thread? I'm not seeing the answer to the original question of how to input a Grantor Letter.

@taxesarefun2019 wrote:

Hi, is there an answer that's missing from this thread? I'm not seeing the answer to the original question of how to input a Grantor Letter.

Yes, the primary answer did not transfer over to this new forum from the old board. 

Essentially, you can enter the information from the grantor letter (GIS) as if you received multiple 1099s (e.g. enter interest as if you received a 1099-INT, dividends as if you received a 1099-DIV) or simply use the K-1 entry for a trust in TurboTax as a template.

But the Grantor Letter says to enter the interest income and dividend income on Form 1040 Schedule B. How do I do that?

Ok ... in the program simply enter the interest and dividends and if you are REQUIRED to file a Sch B the program will populate it and that would be correct ... the people who sent the letter do not know if you are required to file a Sch B or not and you cannot force one if it is not needed ... IRS regulations. 

When do [Removed PII] get her check 

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@Deniseveltre

Turbo Tax will not have a status on your refund. If the IRS website says processing, this means they are working on it.

Please use this link to track your refund from the IRS

Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies