Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I got a letter from the IRS that says my federal tax withholding isn't supported by my W-2. Turbotax calculated the number, but I can't see how they calculated it.

"If IRS is not crediting you with box 2 withholding you have to dispute their changes.

If the IRS letter doesn't tell you how to fix the problem,

you should reply saying you are going to amend and report the missing/correct federal tax withheld.

When you amend you have to include copies of both W-2s showing Federal tax withheld, and any other tax documents that show federal tax withheld."

The letter from the IRS says not to respond with Form 1040X, amended tax reform. They are asking for documentation to support the amount of withholding which is not on the W-2. At this point, I'm just going to send them the paper copies of the W-2, which DOES support the amount of withholding, even though it doesn't match the W-2 that turbotax used.

I got a letter from the IRS that says my federal tax withholding isn't supported by my W-2. Turbotax calculated the number, but I can't see how they calculated it.

That's right.  Send them copies of your actual W2s.  They want to compare them to what the employer reported.  Maybe one of your employers didn't send in their copy yet.

Ok, let me get this straight.
The .pdf file that I downloaded from Turbotax when I finalized the process includes w-2 forms that are missing box 2. You're saying that Turbotax sent me a .pdf for my records, that doesn't match the return they sent to the IRS.
You're saying that while every tax return I've ever sent to the IRS I was required to include my W-2s, but that Turbotax doesn't bother to do that, because the IRS already has them.
And you're saying that although the W-2s that my employer sent me support the amount of withholding on line 25a, and the W-2s that are in the .pdf that Turbotax provided as documentation of my tax return DON'T support the withholding, which is what the IRS is complaining about, but the W-2s that my employer sent me DO support the withholding, that through some amazing coincidence, the IRS got messed up W-2s from some source other than my employer, that also happen to match the screw up in the turbotax documents.
I don't believe you.

When you send the photocopies, or the copy for Fed, of your W-2(s), that should resolve the issue with the IRS.

To understand your actual refund, or tax due, 

you would  have to revise your TurboTax return to match the W-2 withholding you will be supplying to the IRS.

Make a copy of your originally filed return first, for your records.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies