turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I get mileage reimbursement from my employer, but only at $.28 per mile and the government says i should get around$.55 per mile. how do i claim the other $.27?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RichardK

I get mileage reimbursement from my employer, but only at $.28 per mile and the government says i should get around$.55 per mile. how do i claim the other $.27?

The difference between the IRS mileage rate and what your employer pays you is an employee business expense deductible as a Miscellaneous, itemized deduction, subject to the 2% of Adjusted Gross Income limit. The 2016 IRS mileage amount is $.54 a mile and this TuroTax article explains how to report the deduction in TurboTax.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RichardK

The difference between the IRS mileage rate and what your employer pays you is an employee business expense deductible as a Miscellaneous, itemized deduction, subject to the 2% of Adjusted Gross Income limit. The 2016 IRS mileage amount is $.54 a mile and this TuroTax article explains how to report the deduction in TurboTax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies