Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I forgot to add my 1099 (Robin hood) to my taxes, would I have to buy a new software as the original turbotax maybe doesn't allow upload?

Thanks for any help.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I forgot to add my 1099 (Robin hood) to my taxes, would I have to buy a new software as the original turbotax maybe doesn't allow upload?

Your situation is not yet clear.  You need to provide more information about what all you have already done and need to do.

First of all, what tax year?  Is it a 1099 for 2018?   If 2018, was the return prepared in Online TurboTax or desktop software (CD/download)?    What edition did you use (Deluxe, Premier, etc.)?

What kind of 1099?   Is it a 1099-B, 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-R, or something else?  

You didn't say if you have already filed your return or not.   If this is a 1099 for 2018, have you already filed your 2018 return, or is it still unfiled and you're asking how go to back to add the 1099 prior to filing?     If you have already filed, was the efile accepted?     If so, then I assume you are asking how to prepare an amended return to include the 1099.  We can tell you more when you provide the additional info to clarify all that.

"original TurboTax maybe doesn't allow upload?"

What does that mean?   By "upload", do you mean import the 1099?   It is possible to import a 1099 into TurboTax if the financial institution is a participating import partner with TurboTax.    And what do you mean by "original TurboTax"?   Are you asking how to open an unfiled 2018 Online return back up to add the 1099?

I'm not sure why you are asking about "would I have to buy new software."  You should be able to use your current product once it's clear what you need to do.

Thank you for helping me. Please stay by my side as I attempt to resolve this.

It is an Apex Clearing form 1099 from RH for 2018. The return was prepared via the software. It was accepted already. I just want to know what I need to do now: do I just reference the realized gains and wash sales and add these totals up and include it in Turbo Tax or do I just import the 1099 Form.

@ taimishu15 wrote:

Thank you for helping me. Please stay by my side as I attempt to resolve this.

It is an Apex Clearing form 1099 from RH for 2018. The return was prepared via the software. It was accepted already. I just want to know what I need to do now: do I just reference the realized gains and wash sales and add these totals up and include it in Turbo Tax or do I just import the 1099 Form.

I'll help you as far as I can, but I'm just a fellow user, so I don't know how far I can go.    If it gets too complicated, we can tell you how to phone TurboTax Support.

So you prepared the return in the desktop software (CD/download)?     If you already filed and your original return was accepted, then the only way to add the 1099 you forgot is by preparing a formal amended return (Form 1040X).    Do NOT go back in and make any changes to the original return, since it has already been filed and accepted.   You have to use the formal amending process to prepare the Form 1040X that I'll reference below.   Your return has to start off exactly like it was when you originally filed it.  If you changed anything after filing, you need to put it back like it was.

IMPORTANT:  Before amending your return, make a backup copy of the original return data file to archive safely in case you mess something up.  Name it appropriately, such as "2018original" or something similar And when naming your amended return file, be sure to use a unique file name so you don't mix them up, such as "2018amended". 

Were you due a Federal refund with the original return?   If so, it's recommended to wait on the Federal refund to arrive first before amending.

An amended return cannot be efiled.  It has to be printed, signed, and mailed and takes the IRS about 16 weeks to process.

Here's how to amend a 2018 return in the desktop software:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-return-in-the-turbotax-cd-download...

During the formal amending process you can enter the 1099.    Is it a 1099-B?   You didn't specifically say, but I will assume it is.  Depending on the number and complexity of investment sales transactions, when you go to the 1099-B interview in TurboTax, you have 3 choices for entering the info:

1) you can try importing the 1099-B, or

2) you can manually enter each transaction directly into the TurboTax program, or

3) if you have too many sales to enter manually, you can enter summary figures in the appropriate categories and enclose a statement detail with the return that details the sales info.

Let me say this again:   Before amending your return, make a backup copy of the original return data file in case you mess something up and have to start the amending process over again.   And when saving the amended return make sure you are naming it something that distinguishes it from the original, so you don't get them mixed up.

NOTE:  If you also have a state return, you may need to amend it as well.   Be sure to mail any amended state return separately to the state tax agency.

Let me gather more information and get back to you. You're honestly so helpful. I appreciate it a lot.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies