How do I amend my 2018 return in the TurboTax CD/D...

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes

Pick a language

English Français
Get the latest stimulus news and tax filing updates.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I amend my 2018 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software?

To amend your 2018 return in the TurboTax CD/Download software:

  1. Open the return you want to amend in your TurboTax software program.
  2. Make sure your return is exactly as it was when you originally filed it.
    • If you made changes after you filed, undo them. We suggest comparing your on screen numbers with a paper copy of your filed return.
  3. Now, make an "amend" copy your return by selecting Save As (Mac: select Duplicate) from the File menu. This preserves the originally-filed return.
    •  Name the copy to distinguish it from the original, like 2018 Amended Smith B Form 1040 Return.
  4. You should now be working inside the copy you'll be amending. Inside your program, search for amend and then click the Jump to link.
  5. Select Continue on the We'll help you change (amend) your return screen.
  6. On the following screen, Did you already file your return?, select Yes, I've already filed my return and then select I need to amend my 2018 return. Select Continue and then carefully follow the instructions to amend.
    • Don't worry if your refund meter drops to 0; this is normal. Your calculations will come out correctly in the end.
  7. When finished, we'll provide instructions for mailing your amended return, as amendments cannot be e-filed.

3 weeks after mailing your amended federal return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site. Allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

Privacy Settings