I filed my taxes with the wrong w2
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I filed my taxes with the wrong w2

I accidentally entered the wrong w2 information in. I entered my 2018 instead of my 2019. But I filed already and it’s still processing. What steps do I take to correct this?

2 Replies
Level 15

I filed my taxes with the wrong w2

You have to wait and see if your efile gets accepted.   If they reject it for something you can change it around to be only for 2019


But if they accept it you need to wait some more for it to fully process and you get the first refund.  Then you need to Mail in an Amended 1040X return to change it to be for 2019.


You can check your efile status here   https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/


How to amend an Online return


Amended returns can only be MAILED not efiled. 


Do you still need to file a 2018 return?

Level 15

I filed my taxes with the wrong w2

Since the IRS is verifying what you entered against what the employer reports it is very likely they will catch this error and send you a notice telling you what needs to be done  ... at that time you will know if you must amend or mail in a correct original return.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings