turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scarolaa

I filed my return and 'twas rejected (dependent issue). I corrected and it was accepted. I later tried to edit return to re-file which "stuck" and now I cannot amend it.

My ex-wife "accidentally" claimed one of our two dependents on her return which is why my original return was rejected. I removed the invalid dependent and was able to file. I then tried to edit the return and re-add the dependent after she said she amended her return, but could not. Later I tried to amend the return to file, but it shows that my valid return includes the invalid dependent, which is incorrect. It seems that my 'edit' of the return [adding the invalid dependent] somehow stuck in the system as the final valid return, and now I cannot file the amended return. I called and was told that someone from Tech Support would need to remove the invalid dependent from my return in the back-end, and that someone would reach out to me to do this
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

I filed my return and 'twas rejected (dependent issue). I corrected and it was accepted. I later tried to edit return to re-file which "stuck" and now I cannot amend it.

You cannot file an "edited" return.    When you could not e-file your return due to the other parent claiming the same child the way to remedy that was to file on paper and mail the return instead.   But you removed the child from your return and filed without the child listed as a dependent.   THEN---- in order to add the child back as a dependent---you should have waited for the original return to be fully processed and send in a Form 1040X to claim your child.

You have kind of a mess now, and will have to wait for the IRS to sort it out.  It sounds like you have put multiple returns into the system, which is a recipe for delay.    Do not do anything else now.  They are not going to let you change your return via a phone call.   And TurboTax cannot do something from the "back end" to change a return that you filed.   You will have to be patient and let this play out.   

Your ex's amended return will take months to be processed.   And when and if you file a Form 1040X -- expect it to take at least six months to be processed, since the IRS is so severely  backlogged.

For further help from customer support:

To call TurboTax customer support

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899263-what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number

Customer support is available from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time Monday-Friday.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies