Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my 2020 taxes already and my federal was accepted. I received a form 1095-A after I had already submitted. Was that something I needed to add ? How can I fix it?

I already submitted my federal and state return like two weeks ago but received my 1095-A from Health Insurance Marketplace after and I have had no idea what to do. My federal was just accepted. Did I need that 1095-A added ? What can I do now to solve that?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

I filed my 2020 taxes already and my federal was accepted. I received a form 1095-A after I had already submitted. Was that something I needed to add ? How can I fix it?

Yes, you need to include the 1095-A information if you received the Advanced Premium Tax Credit.  You will want to amend your tax return when available to include the information, but amended tax returns.  See How do I amend my 2020 TurboTax Online return?

If you receive a Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, showing that advance payments of the premium tax credit were paid for coverage for you or your family member, you must include it on your individual income tax return and submit a Form 8962 to reconcile those advance payments, even if you would not otherwise be required to file a tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
the_original_lau
Returning Member

Re: I filed my 2020 taxes already and my federal was accepted. I received a form 1095-A after I filed

STOP ... DO NOT AMEND TO ADD THE 1095-A  ...

Wait for the IRS to ask for that form and the 8962  ... amending the return BEFORE the IRS asks for these items will delay the return even longer as the department which will ask for these things  and the department that processes amended returns are totally different and do not talk to each other.  AND a return cannot be amended before the original return is fully processed which will not happen with the missing 1095-A.  

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

If you have already filed your return and received an IRS letter, then you need to follow other steps.

1. Log into  your return
  2. Select that you want to add a state - this lets you into the program without the amend process starting.
  3. In the top right corner, locate the Magnifying glass/search  box 
  4. enter the exact words 1095a
  5. Select the first entry Jump to 1095a
  6. Fill in the 1095a information
  7. print and mail the 8962

{Edited 2/15/21 12:01pm}

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies