Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zoncad

I filed a return and it had an error making me owe money. With the Unemployment break it balances out and I'm owed money. should I amend my taxes or wait for the IRS?

There was an error in my original return where I didn't claim all of my stimulus money.  The IRS notified me of the error and corrected it on there end. This took me from a refund to owing about $300 or so.  Then the tax break for the unemployment wages was issued and when I did an estimated return with the new info, I should now be getting around $900 as a refund.  Should I file an amended return or wait out the IRS for them to correct everything for me?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I filed a return and it had an error making me owe money. With the Unemployment break it balances out and I'm owed money. should I amend my taxes or wait for the IRS?

WAIT.    The IRS does not want a bunch of amended returns for the unemployment tax law change.    They are recalculating refunds and taking care of it at their end.   And anyway--never send in an amended return while they are still processing the first return or you just create confusion and delays.   WAIT.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
zoncad

Thank you so much for the quick response.  However, when I check my "refund status" on the IRS website, it notes that I need to "take action".  This is because of the original error.  So, I fear they are no longer "processing" my return and are just waiting on me paying this.  If you still think I should wait, I will adhere to the advice.  I don't want to make anyone else's refund take even longer by adding another unnecessary amended tax file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies