Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I entered all info for my federal tax return but when finishing it says that I don't get a federal refund?

Thank you for all the help. This is my first time filing taxes for myself so it's all fairly confusing to me.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I entered all info for my federal tax return but when finishing it says that I don't get a federal refund?

looks like you are due a state refund - No federal withholding was deducted from your W-2.  And you don't qualify for any refundable credits for claiming a parent.  And TT needs information about your parents (due to your age) to calculate your return.  You don't need to upgrade but there is no federal refund due, only state.

Thanks DawnC

Could you explain more for me why I dont get a federal refund? It said that i had about $280 withheld for federal taxes. Also what other info is needed for my parents and where do i enter it. Thanks

Also I was under the impression that federal taxes were being withheld from my paychecks.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Your employer was withholding STATE income tax, no federal.  That is why you are getting a state refund.  You should update your withholding with your employer so they start taking out federal tax too.  Look at your W-2 at Box 2.  If there was an amount in Box 2, you would have received it back as a refund.   Double check that box because you didn't enter anything from box 2 into your return.  And your state return DOES show a refund.

And you don't get back the Social Security in box 4 and Medicare box 6.  Did you manually enter your W2 or import it or take a picture?  It may have entered it wrong.  Double check the W2 entry with your actual W2.  

Thank you so much for all of your help everyone. I entered my w2 with a picture and it didnt capture all of my information. I'm so glad I was able to resolve everything.

Whew!  Glad you finally found it.

Whew!  Glad you finally figured it out!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies