stephangel90

I e-filed on 1/23 then my Husband received a 1099 we didn't know we were recieving. I amended, I don't see the correct amount it's not on irs.gov. What do I do?

Did I do something wrong? How do I fix this?

Your tax return was “just filed” or accepted, but you went back to it and “amended” by adding or changing something and you “e-filed” the changes?

That is not how to amend your return.  If you changed anything on your “just-filed” or already accepted return, and then “e-filed” the changes, those changes went nowhere.

When you amend a return you need to be working from the return as it was originally, so restore those “changes” you made to the way your return was before you tried to “fix” it.

The way to amend your tax return is to wait for it to be fully processed and you have received your refund.  Then you can use a form called the 1040X to prepare an amended tax return to add a W-2, your student loan interest, a 1099R, or whatever else you originally forgot to include.  (or to change a dependent’s status, etc.)

stephangel90

Thank you. So do I need to start over? What I don't understand is do I take the 1099 MISC off? Or leave it now? It says the original refund was already accepted by the IRS. So just leave it like that and then wait until we receive the return and then add the 1099? 

When you amend a tax return, you have to work from the return EXACTLY as it appeared when you originally filed it.