turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlauren34

Some of my tax return came in about 2 weeks ago but it wasn't the amount of the federal or states tax it's been almost a week and a half or a little more and I can't figure out how to find where the r

I have tried calling the irs but can't get any help
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Heather14

Some of my tax return came in about 2 weeks ago but it wasn't the amount of the federal or states tax it's been almost a week and a half or a little more and I can't figure out how to find where the r

I do not know the exact reason that the IRS did not refund the amount that you were expecting to receive, but one common reason that could have resulted in your refund being lower than you expected, is that your refund was reduced by the government, either to correct a calculation error or through a refund offset. A refund offset is when an IRS refund is reduced or intercepted to pay off delinquent debt, such as past-due child support, outstanding student loans, or unpaid state income tax.

You will receive a notice in the mail if an offset occurs. The notice will include the original tax refund amount and your offset amount. It will also include the agency receiving the offset payment and that agency’s contact information.

If you believe you do not owe the debt or you want to dispute the amount taken from your refund, you should contact the agency that received the offset amount.

If you have questions regarding the offset of your federal tax refund or offset of another U.S. government-issued payment, you can call the Treasury Offset Program (TOP) Call Center to obtain agency contact information during our customer service hours.

Have Questions about an Offset?

• Toll Free: 800-304-3107
  • TDD number: 866-297-0517

If you suspect your refund, or part of your refund,  is being held, sometimes people make progress contacting their local IRS center or a Taxpayer Advocate.

Please see the link below to find your local Taxpayer Assistance Center.

https://apps.irs.gov/app/officeLocator/index.jsp

The link below will offer your more guidance on Taxpayer Advocates.

https://www.irs.gov/Advocate

If some of the refund that you were expecting was from your state tax refund, you may wish to contact your State Department of Revenue to determine if they have offset your refund (kept some for a debt they feel you owe).  

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ and click your state to open their contact page.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302452

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies