turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I discovered an error in my taxes after I paid TurboTax and printed the taxes and got them ready to mail. Because I already paid TurboTax, I have to amend my returns.

I discovered an error in my taxes after I paid TurboTax, printed the taxes, and got them ready to mail. Because I already paid TurboTax, I have to amend my returns. I cannot redo them from scratch without paying TurboTax again. So, I just completed my amended tax returns and I am getting ready to mail them. I have not mailed my original tax filings yet that were incorrect. As long as I am filing an amended return, do I really have to also mail in the errant returns that I completed first? I haven't mailed them yet.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I discovered an error in my taxes after I paid TurboTax and printed the taxes and got them ready to mail. Because I already paid TurboTax, I have to amend my returns.

No, don't amend if you haven’t actually e-filed or mailed your return yet. Just open your return and make any changes, and file when you're ready. 

See Do I need to amend?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It doesn't give me any options other than amend return. How do I open my taxes again and start there? 

This is what the page says

Your tax returns & documents
Filed Federal Tax Return
Filed with: TurboTax Self‑Employed
Return Status: Printed 04/25/2021
Filed Ohio Tax Return
Return Status: Printed 04/25/2021
Add a State
You've unlocked exclusive benefits for total peace of mind
We're here for you with year-round full audit representation and identity theft coverage
See all your MAX benefits
Amend (change) return

Download/print return (PDF)
My Docs
Smart Insights™
View adjusted gross income
(AGI)
View order details

Download .tax file

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

In order to get back into your return to make changes after indicating that you plan to file by mail, you will need to choose that you are trying to Add a State.  This will open up the return again so that you can edit it.  

The step by step instructions are in the following TurboTax article, just stop after step 4 and make your changes:

How do I change from mail to e-file in TurboTax Online?

@geercom

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies