kbadowski

I didn't get a tax break on my non-refunded work expenses. Why?

DDollar

It's impossible to say for sure without a lot more information, but this may explain it:

In order to claim a deduction for unreimbursed business expenses, you would have to itemize your deductions. Additionally, the deduction is allowed only for the amount that is more than 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI). 

It is very difficult to qualify for this deduction. That's because the expense limit is so high. In order to qualify, your job-related expenses must be more than 2% of your AGI (adjusted gross income).

Example: If your AGI is $40,000, your expenses would have to be more than $800 ($40,000 x 2%). Even then, you could only deduct the amount over $800. So, if your job-related expenses were $1,000 you could only deduct $200 ($1,000 - $800).

DDollar