Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I did the refund file thing like a month ago and want to know when I'll get my check or if I'm missing something

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
CassandraLO
Intuit Alumni

I did the refund file thing like a month ago and want to know when I'll get my check or if I'm missing something

We know you'd like your refund as fast as possible, but we have no control over how fast the IRS or your state returns your money to you. We're unable to track down, research, or expedite your refund, because those actions are only done by the government--you'll have to contact the IRS or your state tax office for help.

For the most up to date information on your refund, you can track your federal refund here: Where's My Refund? which provides a specific, personalized date for your tax refund once its available.  You may also download the IRS2Go app to check your Federal refund status.

For questions on state refunds, use your State Refund Lookup tool.

Even though the IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process.

For some taxpayers, PATH Act requirements and other identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS may account for longer wait times. (EIC or Additional Child Tax Credit)

Other things that can delay your refund include but are not limited to:

• Liens, back taxes, or refund offsets;
  • Errors, inconsistencies, or missing information;
  • Identity fraud;
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which can take 11-14 weeks to process.

Here is the general timeline of e-filed returns:

Transmission > Acceptance > Processing > Approval > Refund.

Also, if you chose direct deposit, your financial institution may need up to 5 days post the refund to your account, so keep that in mind. If you are receiving a paper check, the Where's My Refund? site will let you know when it is sent out to you via regular mail.

If you are concerned you can contact the IRS directly to see if they can give you additional information on the status of you return.

To contact the IRS call 800-829-1040

1. press 1 for English listen to the recorded message

2. press 2 for answers about personal income taxes listen to the recorded message

3. press 1 for questions about a form you already submitted

4. press 3 for all other questions

5. press 2 for all other questions

6. enter your social or ein

confirm type (social or ein) and confirm if the number is right by pressing 1

7. Listen to all options then it will say if you have not heard your topic please hold

8. Next, it will say if you owe money and agree with the amount press 1

You will then be transferred to a representative after a general message from the IRS

(Note: If call volume is too high they will ask you to call back)

Related Information:

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies