turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heyon86
Returning Member

I did pay state tax last year via mail and see the check cleared but this year’s return says I have an underpayment so I am confused.

My incomes is from California and my husband earned in Kansas. We both live in Kansas. Its just my work is in CA and I work remotely. We filed KS tax last year and paid the amount requested but this y
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

I did pay state tax last year via mail and see the check cleared but this year’s return says I have an underpayment so I am confused.

The underpayment penalty is calculated if you do not have enough withheld in income taxes throughout the year as you earn your income. 

It has nothing to do with what you paid in last year on your taxes for 2019.  

You can try to reduce your underpayment penalty by following the tip at the bottom of the link below.  

Underpayment penalties

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
heyon86
Returning Member

Ahhhh I see!! Thank you so so so much for your reply. I was so confused... however, for year 2020 then.. my income from CA is majority of our family income around 50K and my husband who is employed in KS is only around 10K for the whole year. Do we have to pay tax to KS for our total income together even though 50K was coming from CA job?

No, you would fill out the sections for income earned in other States, as well as for income taxes paid to other States in order for the program to accurately calculate any liability (or refund due from/to) for each based on State information (actually from the State, and not from you).

Having said that, the IRS is beginning to accept and process returns on February 12th and most States (given that finalization of all forms has not yet happened for all States) are doing their best to follow suit with this date.

State Tax Forms Availability Table

I would try back and not submit until much closer to that date to ensure your State Information is most up to date. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies