michaeljcoren

I bought TurboTax for 2018 at CostCo, but didn't file before October 15. Now I can no longer file. Can I get a refund on the product or credit for 2019?

Anonymous
Not applicable

you can't e-file but you can still prepare your return and mail it in.     if you are due a refund you won't get it unless you file and if you owe, you give the IRS 6 years to come after you.  

since you bought it at Costco, that's where you would have to return it for refund.  however, stores usually don't refund or make exchanges if the software package has been opened.   

If you purchased the software at Costco you purchased desktop software.  One of the choices in the file section is to file by mail.  That is what you need to do.   E-filing has been closed since October 15,  A 2018 return cannot be e-filed now.  Print it, sign it in ink, and mail the return.  It will print with mailing instructions.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.