turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered all info for my federal tax return but when finishing it says that I don't get a federal refund?

It says that it includes an explanation below but all it says is "we dont have enough information to calculate your return yet." though I've put in all info and it doesnt ask for any more. It then prompts me to start my state return as if my federal is completely done. No matter how many times I go back through all of the steps and make sure that there is no info missing I always get the same result. 
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

24 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I entered all info for my federal tax return but when finishing it says that I don't get a federal refund?

Two possibilities:

Neither of those answers fit my situation. I do have my income entered and when I go back through the steps it shows that. I went through the steps to make sure I only have one account.  Im not sure what to do next. If even the turbotax support doesn't have answers for me then where else is there to go? Should I just accept the loss and not receive a federal return?

What income did you enter?  You should preview your return and see if something is missing or entered wrong.  What lines look wrong?

Go to TAX TOOLS on the Left side.
(You might have to click a little to the left of "Tax Tools" to make it open

Then click on TOOLS
Then View Tax Summary (first link in the Tools Center box)
Then Preview My 1040 on the Left side again

Then Click Back near the top of your screen to exit the preview screen.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901539-how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-filing">...>

VolvoGirl Everything one the form seems to look correct up until lines 9-23. All lines 9-23 are blank and I'm not sure why. My income is filled in all the correct spots where required but still comes out to empty lines throughout the rest of the worksheet.

What kind of income did you enter?  What lines have amounts?  If you only get Social Security you do not have to file a return.  

Or it sounds like the Standard Deduction on line 8 wiped out all your income so you don't have a tax liability.  Then did you have any withholding taken out of anything?  Do you qualify for any credits?  Why do you think you should be getting a refund?  

I strictly have income from a job with a w2. I have that entered in line one and other places when needed. My deduction is 18,000. Below this amount it has my income subtracted from that amount which comes out to 12,582. That's the last amount that is listed. This is both on line 8.

I asked the moderator if it could be a program error.  I haven't heard of any like this.

What do you mean both on line 8?  8 is the Standard Deduction of 18,000 for Head of Household.  Is your wages on line 1 more than 18,000?

Ok they would like to check it.  Can you post a diagnostic file please?  Post the Token number you get.  The file is stripped out of all your Personal Info

TurboTax Online
1. Sign into your online account and select Take me to my return
2. Locate the Tax Tools on the left hand side of the screen.
3. A Drop down will appear. Click on Tools, then Share my file with agent.
5. This will generate a message that a diagnostic copy will be created. Click on OK, the tax file gets sanitized and transmitted to us.
6. Please provide the Token Number that was generated onto a response.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Since you are claiming Head of Household, have you entered your dependent's information?  And visited the Deductions and Credits section to have any credits you are due calculated?  If you click on the link in your image  ''Why am I not getting a refund?'', does it give you any other information?

Did it say you should upgrade to Deluxe because of a schedule?  Do you have a code D in box 12 on your W2?  

Ok token number is 546963

I have entered my dependents info. I believe that I've went through all deduction and credit sections. Clicking on the link simply provides the info displayed right below the link.

I haven't come across anything telling me to upgrade to deluxe.

Thanks!  I passed it on.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies