jthomas2929

I amended my return to add damage from a flood. When done I got a message that said no difference was detected in my return and the amount of the refund was 0. Why?

NiaW

The original return and the amended return are considered two separate returns. Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original return and replace them; they are processed as two separate returns.  When you filed your amended return the $0 means that the information you entered you are not due an additional refund nor do you owe additional taxes. You will still get back you original return amount.

NiaW

jthomas2929

Originally, there was a question about living in a federally declared disaster area. I said no, because I wasn't planning to claim anything. When I amended, I didn't see that question anywhere.  Perhaps I did something wrong? I expected it to make a difference.
jthomas2929