turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I amended my 2018 taxes to deduct PMI premiums (tax law changed after I filed). I never received a new refund or any follow up. How do I follow up on this?

I received an email from Turbotax after I filed my taxes alerting me to a change in tax law which was made after the date I filed. This change meant PMI premiums were not tax deductible and I could amend my 2018 taxes. I followed the link and steps from this email to make the revisions. I have not received an additional refund nor any follow-up from Turbotax, IRS, etc.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I amended my 2018 taxes to deduct PMI premiums (tax law changed after I filed). I never received a new refund or any follow up. How do I follow up on this?

When did you print and mail it?

I believe I mailed it in early June.

June 2019 or 2020?

In normal times it takes up to 16 weeks or more to process an Amended 1040X return. But these are not normal times. They just started opening the mail in June that's been stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.  The IRS says.."We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it." So you have to keep waiting.

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

June 2020. But the amendment was for 2018 taxes.

Thank you for the information.

Sorry you have to keep waiting.  The IRS is very behind this year due to Covid.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies