Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

krp43

I am looking for my EIN for my last job

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DonaldM

How do I find my Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

Providing your Employer Identification Number (EIN) from your W-2 allows us to identify the easiest way for you to enter your W-2 form (you also need it to e-file).

The best place to look is in Box b of your W-2 form, located right above or below your employer's name and address.

Your EIN will be a 9-digit number with a dash after the second digit (example: 00-0000000). Keep in mind, an EIN is not the same thing as an Employer’s State ID number or your Employee Number.

EXPANDO:What if I don’t have my W-2 yet?

If you don’t have your W-2 yet you should wait until you get it, your employer is required to send W-2s by January 31. If you haven't received your W-2 by February 14, we can help you figure out what to do next.

Also, check to see if it was delivered electronically. Some companies provide digital W-2s either by email or through their own online system.

EXPANDO:I can’t get my W-2, where else can I find my EIN?

Other places you can find your EIN:

• Last year's W-2—if you're working for the same employer and kept a copy of your W-2 (Copy C).
  • Your employer's payroll, human resources, or accounting department.
  • Online—if your company is publicly-traded (has a stock symbol).
    • Search for your company's annual report (Form 10-K).
    • The EIN will be labeled IRS Employer Identification No. and is usually on the first page. (This might not work if your employer has multiple EINs.)
  • Public court documents—if your employer went bankrupt. Oftentimes the EIN will be on the docket sheet along with their name and address.
EXPANDO:What if I have a 1099 form?

If we ask you for your EIN and you want to enter information from your 1099 form, you’re most likely in the wrong place. Use these links to get to where you need to be:

If you can’t find your EIN, don’t worry. Just leave that field blank and click on Continue to manually enter your W-2 information. You won't be able to e-file, but you can still file a paper return by mail.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DonaldM

How do I find my Employer Identification Number (EIN)?

Providing your Employer Identification Number (EIN) from your W-2 allows us to identify the easiest way for you to enter your W-2 form (you also need it to e-file).

The best place to look is in Box b of your W-2 form, located right above or below your employer's name and address.

Your EIN will be a 9-digit number with a dash after the second digit (example: 00-0000000). Keep in mind, an EIN is not the same thing as an Employer’s State ID number or your Employee Number.

EXPANDO:What if I don’t have my W-2 yet?

If you don’t have your W-2 yet you should wait until you get it, your employer is required to send W-2s by January 31. If you haven't received your W-2 by February 14, we can help you figure out what to do next.

Also, check to see if it was delivered electronically. Some companies provide digital W-2s either by email or through their own online system.

EXPANDO:I can’t get my W-2, where else can I find my EIN?

Other places you can find your EIN:

• Last year's W-2—if you're working for the same employer and kept a copy of your W-2 (Copy C).
  • Your employer's payroll, human resources, or accounting department.
  • Online—if your company is publicly-traded (has a stock symbol).
    • Search for your company's annual report (Form 10-K).
    • The EIN will be labeled IRS Employer Identification No. and is usually on the first page. (This might not work if your employer has multiple EINs.)
  • Public court documents—if your employer went bankrupt. Oftentimes the EIN will be on the docket sheet along with their name and address.
EXPANDO:What if I have a 1099 form?

If we ask you for your EIN and you want to enter information from your 1099 form, you’re most likely in the wrong place. Use these links to get to where you need to be:

If you can’t find your EIN, don’t worry. Just leave that field blank and click on Continue to manually enter your W-2 information. You won't be able to e-file, but you can still file a paper return by mail.

2162Kiya

popeyes lake park ga 31636 ein number and mcdonalds lake park ga 31636 ein number

The EIN would be on the W-2 the employer  sent you which you need to attach to  the mailed in 2020 return since you cannot efile it any longer. Get replacement copies from them.  

If all you have is the IRS transcript (which only has the last 4 numbers on it) then aside from your mailing in those copies with the return  you can use ANY 9 digits in the program to get by the error messages.  They don't need to be correct since you cannot efile the return anyway.  

If you transfer this info into the 2021 program later make sure to enter the CORRECT EIN numbers at that time if you still work for those employers. 

I need three EIN numbers from my last jobs
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the information in this Help Article for assistance with your employer's EIN.

@Jennywerst86 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies