turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

nle003

I am an international student and mistakenly filed my tax return using Turbo Tax. I wasn't aware that Turbo Tax shall not be used in this scenario. What should I do now?

I have the same problems and I cannot find where to find the 1040NR on Sprintax either...

DoIt

I am an international student and mistakenly filed my tax return using Turbo Tax. I wasn't aware that Turbo Tax shall not be used in this scenario. What should I do now?

If I mistakenly filled out my taxes with turbo tax why did they accept everything since they should have my information and I should result as a non-resident. Also what happen if you don't make any adjustments ? meaning like you don't correct your past taxes that you filled out with turbo tax and fixed them with sprintax

Hi! I'm not an international student but I am a non resident alien since I worked for three months last year on the US. I filled my tax return with TurboTax and I received a message where I was told my tax return was accepted. However I haven't received any direct deposit even when my estimated federal return date was scheduled for April 4th. I know I'll have to amend my tax return with the correct form (1040NR) with Sprintax. My question is, Can I amend my return now or should I wait until I receive the refund? I sincerely don't know how appropiate that would be since I don´t want the IRS to tell me I owe them money that I haven´t received it yet. 

Hi Bhago,

Did you do some amends to this problem? I am also in your situation, wrong tax form and got stimulus.

I am waiting for the IRS to either reject or accept the my tax return for the year 2019 which I filed in April 2020. It has been nearly 10 months since I filed the tax return and the refund status still says that it's still being processed. In a couple of months time I will be filing the tax return for the year 2020. Should I send in an amended tax return for the year 2019 along with my tax return for the year 2020 even though, I haven't heard back from IRS. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No, your return says processing. That means the IRS actually received your return. The problem is the length of time is greater than what the IRS states, even with COVID. You need to contact the IRS at 800-829-1040. Try not to push buttons to get a human being. Don't push for refund, don't put in social, etc.

@laasyadevi

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I would please like to ask.. if your are refunded the Tax after filing on turbo tax (international student) , when you mail the amendment do you pay the it back or is it taken/deducted from you. 

Thanks 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If you owe money after amending, you'll include payment with your mailed amendment form. Please see Can I amend if I already received my refund? for more information.

@AndreaMoyo

ashrith pradeep
Returning Member

Hi, I have a similar problem. I have filed tax returns last July and filled the wrong form instead of 1040 NR EZ. I have read the instructions on how to amend but I am not sure where to mail my corrected forms. On the instructions page, it says I need to mail the Austin, TX office only in response to a notice from IRS, which is not the case. I haven't received anything from IRS. I have just got my refund. Please clarify if I too can mail y docs to Austin, TX  IRS office. 

Thanks

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this from the IRS on where to mail your amended return: https://www.irs.gov/filing/where-to-file-addresses-for-taxpayers-and-tax-professionals-filing-form-1...

haritha
Returning Member

Hello David, 

I have filed 1040 for 2021 which I shouldn't have done as I am an international student and should file 1040 NR using sprint tax. I have amended it using TurboTax and got 1040-X which I need to send mail to IRS and state revenue office.

I know that I need to attach 1040-NR along with 1040-X and mail it. My question is, How will I get 1040-NR?

Do I need to file it using Sprinttax and download the form and mail it or file it electronically? 

Thanks in Advance

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can use sprintax to file Form 1040-NR.

Please review the steps below to file Form 1040-Xand Form 1040-NR: 

• Download Form 1040-X 
  • Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040-X.
  • Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040-X.
  • Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040-X. 
  • Complete a new or corrected return ( Form 1040-NR, etc. you can try to use sprintax for this). 
  • Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.” 
  • Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040-X.

Please see Form 1040-X Instructions  for additional information.

@haritha

haritha
Returning Member

How Do I pay back the amount I received from IRS when I am amending 1040 with 1040-NR?

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

You can pay online at the IRS website or mail a check or money order with your amended return.

@haritha

I'm also in the same position. TurboTax says I will receive my federal refund by 05/06/2022. I know that I need to wait until I receive my refund before I can file 1040X because it asks me about my exact return amount (and also according to the IRS website). I was wondering if it's okay to file it after the IRS deadline? How do I know the interest amount that I owe IRS in this case?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies