turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cwest75

I already filed my taxes, but forgot a W-2

i already filed my taxes on two main jobs I worked in 2015, but I just received a W-2 from a job I started in 2014 and worked three weeks in jan, of 2015 and just totally forgot about it and forgot to add it into my returns, What do I do??
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JohnnyD

You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original returns and replace them.  They are processed as two separate returns.

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed and you will have to mail a check with the return.

The 1040X for amending returns is currently scheduled to be final in mid-February.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
JohnnyD

You should not try to amend your return until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund or your payment has cleared.  Amended returns do not “catch up” to your original returns and replace them.  They are processed as two separate returns.

Amended returns have to be printed and filed by mail.  It can take the IRS up to 12 weeks or longer to process them.   If you are due a larger refund than on your original return, your amended return should only show the difference and you will receive a separate check for it.  If you owe money on your amended return, it will show only the new amount owed and you will have to mail a check with the return.

The 1040X for amending returns is currently scheduled to be final in mid-February.

Once you get your refund check you can go into TurboTax and amend your taxes and add the W2 you forgot.

File an amendment.
lvking05

I've done that before, irs knows and will automatically adjust your return for you and tell you that the adjusted it.
cwest75

so even if they been accepted two weeks ago, and I believe ive already received state returns, I still shouldn't amend it?
JohnnyD

Once you have received your acceptance from both Fed and State you can do the amended return.

you can file an amendment

I am in the same situation this year. I filed my taxes and they were accepted and then another w-2 for $420 came in the mail. I know I have to amend but will this cause a delay in getting my original refund? 

AshleyLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the following TurboTax FAQ for concerns about a delayed refund due to amending: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/will-amending-delay-my-original-tax-refund/01/26660#...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sammiboo

Hello my name is Samantha flaherty I already filed my taxes although I think I did something wrong because I don’t think it claimed my kids but I have another w2 I didn’t think I was going to get that I’d really like to add to it 

@Sammiboo wrote:

Hello my name is Samantha flaherty I already filed my taxes although I think I did something wrong because I don’t think it claimed my kids but I have another w2 I didn’t think I was going to get that I’d really like to add to it 

You will have to amend the 2021 tax return to make any changes and to add the W-2.

An amended return, Form 1040-X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS if the original tax return was not e-filed. The IRS will take up to 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.

Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.

The federal amended tax return, Form 1040-X, for tax year 2021 is estimated to be available in TurboTax on 02/24/2022

Click on the link below for more information on how to amend your tax return.

Amendment

@DoninGA Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies