How will I know if my refund will be garnished

The Department of Treasury's Financial Management Service (FMS) can offset any unpaid federal or government debt against your refund without prior notice. Most commonly, the offset is taken for:

• Past due child support;
  • Debts owed to a federal agency;
  • Unemployment debts owed to the state;
  • Past due federal student loans;
  • Unpaid state income tax.

We're unable to assist with or provide additional information about refund offsets, as these actions are initiated by the government. For further assistance:

• Call the FMS at 1-800-304-3107 to find out if your refund was reduced because of an offset.
  • Call the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service at 1-877-777-4778 (or visit www.irs.gov/advocate) if you feel your refund was reduced in error. The service is free.

Below is a link with more information about offsets and what actions you need to take. I hope this has helped!

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894477-why-did-my-federal-tax-refund-decrease-after-i-filed

How do you know if your taxes gonna be taken 

You can call the FMS at 1-800-304-3107 to find out if your refund was reduced because of an offset.

I am in the rear with child support but I pay every week will I lose my federal 

Probably.

The IRS and State Governments have the ability to offset a refund to pay for certain past due debts.  You generally will receive a letter stating what the offset was for.  

The IRS provides a toll-free number, (800) 304-3107, to call for information about tax offsets.

can the irs t ake my tax return due to the corona virus

Even with the presence of COVID-19, the IRS can offset refunds for many different things:

• Past-due child support;
  • Federal agency non-tax debts;
  • State income tax obligations; or
  • Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state.

However, the IRS can only offset the stimulus payments for back child support. 

@iyngast59

TURBO Tax is pretty useless for the past couple of years.   IF a Federal or State is going to seize a TAX refund it should be pretty straightforward that TurboTax should be semi-aware.  There is no point waiting for hours upon hour than to only have them discontent after exceeding the time period on hold.  Maryland had seized my STATE refund off and on for the past couple of years.  Two of my former employers Northrop Grumman and USPS both refuse to pay into Md's unemployment fund.  The State of Maryland paid me unemployment benefits saying they get them to pay into the find.  After 30 plus years of refusing to pay MD claims I now have to repay.  Last year they acted as if they seized my state refund but on or around 15th of April they allowed the refund to deposit.  I had filed my taxes in Feb/March