turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to change FIN

how to correct the FIN which was entered incorrectly
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Carl
Level 15

How to change FIN

What's a FIN? Do you mean EIN (Employer Identification Number) or ITIN? (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number).

How to change FIN

It's the Federal Identification No on 1099R and, I guess, same as EIN

How to change FIN

I had a typo-error and transposed 2 numbers  of my FIN and the returned was rejected. I need to make the correction and re-e-file it
Carl
Level 15

How to change FIN

Do it right the first time. Otherwise, you risk delaying your refund. The feds will NOT look anything up "for you" at this time of year. They just flag it, put it in  the "take care of this later" pile and there it sits until tax season is over.
To correct the 1099-R under the Personal Income tab scroll down to the Retirement Income & Social Security section and elect to update IRA, 401(k) Retirement income (1099-R). Indicate that you DO have a 1099-R and you'll get to the screen that will list your 1099-R. Elect to edit that 1099-R and work it through, making corrections where necessary. Changes don't "stick" until you click a DONE button. So keep working through until you get to a screen with a DONE button on it, and click it.

How to change FIN

EIN/FIN is the same number. As long as you got your name, address, and social security number entered correctly, the Feds should still approve you, assuming you don't have any other red flags trigger your return. They can easily lookup your employers EIN/FIN. Companies with over 200 employees have a public EIN/FIN number. You may be able to Google it if so.

If not, wait for that W-2 or call your employer or there Payroll Company even.

How to change FIN

I need to change FIN 2020 Tax Return I already processed.

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

How to change FIN

You may need to amend your return if it becomes rejected from the IRS after it was transmitted.  To do this, please see the link here for further instructions.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies