turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to access 2015 return from desktop software after computer crash

I filed my 2015 taxes using the desktop software--NOT the online version.  Shortly afterwards, my computer crashed and I was unable to access or print the 2015 return for my records.  Now I need a copy of this return (full copy, not just a transcript) to close on a mortgage loan. The IRS takes 60 days to send a copy and I have to close in a week.  How do I get this information through Turbotax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry...but you cannot get it from TurboTax.  When you use desktop TurboTax installed on your own computer, the tax files are not stored online with TurboTax.  They are ONLY on your own hard drive, or on whatever backup device you may have used like a flash drive.  You may have to see if the lender will accept a transcript if you cannot obtain a copy of the actual return in time.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Sorry...but you cannot get it from TurboTax.  When you use desktop TurboTax installed on your own computer, the tax files are not stored online with TurboTax.  They are ONLY on your own hard drive, or on whatever backup device you may have used like a flash drive.  You may have to see if the lender will accept a transcript if you cannot obtain a copy of the actual return in time.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You may be able to go to your local IRS office to get a copy of the return.

I tried that, but the local office will only supply a transcript and not the full return.  They have you file a form and pay $50 to send it by mail only and it takes 60-75 days.  Thank you all for the advice though!

Good luck!

Most mortgage companies will accept a transcript ... ask a manager.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies