Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How long does it take to receive an amended refund

IRS received my addendum march 2021 and have not received anything. called a few times to speak with someone with no luck. 

@emilpoe wrote:

IRS received my addendum march 2021 and have not received anything. called a few times to speak with someone with no luck. 

Anything at the IRS that requires manual processing has taken quite long.   Many folks have been waiting 6-7 months so far just for their original returns to be processed.

And are you saying you have not been able to reach a live IRS agent?   If that's the case, see this:

This is anecdotal, but I called the IRS a few days ago and found that for me it was best to call just before closing time--about 6:55 PM and quickly go through the steps below.  I figured a lot of folks would not call that close to closing, and that if I was one of the last to get into the queue, they would finish off all the people who were in the queue at closing time.   And luckily, my hunch worked for me.  Still had to wait about 25 minutes.     Some users have said they managed to get in by phoning when the IRS first opened in the morning at 7 AM, but I assumed there would be a big rush to get in at that time. 

IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

• First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you have no luck reaching the IRS, or don't get satisfactory information, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.    They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Also see this article for more info on how the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service works::
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

I’ve spoken to a live agent three times in the last 8 months. They’ve all assured me it would br processed yet I still have not received any confirmation or a check in the mail. The online tracker just says that they’ve received my claim and it’s taking longer to process than expected. Not sure what else to do. 

Just keep waiting.   They will pay you interest on it.

any idea how long it will be? It is about $4,000 that they owe me :(

1Patrick
Returning Member

IRS received my amended return March 03 2021.  I couldn’t see any status on their status website until August, that’s when I was able to confirm they received it.  There was a message on there to call them.  I called, IRS agent told me they’re  still backlogged and to just wait for it to be processed.  I was asked to call back around February 2022 if it hasn’t been processed then.  Not sure how that new wait time was decided on.  So I’d say just wait.

Erich1121

I have been patiently waiting since April 7th! In all of this time I got through to 1 person who told me to wait 30 days and try again if I didn't see any movement that was over a month ago, still no word! I would like something considering I missed all of my child tax credits because I was told to Amend! Now I am not only waiting for all of that, but now Turbo tax and their lovely professionals screwed me out of my refund advance to boot! I mean do I not get a break here? Do I have to actually file with the BBB? I need something I am a single dad of 4 girls ranging from 3 months to 13 and can't afford to keep losing money like this! Would somebody please from TurboTax give me some correct info and maybe help with finding out what or where my return your company filed ended up? Thanks in advance for your time! 🙃

NashayLO
Intuit Alumni

@Erich1121 Did you e-file your amended return or did you mail it in?

The status of your amended return can be found on the IRS Website.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Erich1121

It was efiled and the Irs accepted the amended return April 7th! I waited 16 weeks and could not get through to anyone in the IRS for almost 4 months! Then last month i finally reached a human and he gave me no information or help and said to call back in 30 more days! I know they are busy but almost a year? If i owed them money they'd be taxing me with interest! 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

They are experiencing a very big backlog on returns. 16 weeks is the estimated amount of time to process the return, however it can take longer. 

Only the IRS will be able to give a time frame as to when you will receive the amended return refund if owed. 

THE YEAR IS 2022.  THE MONTH IS FEB.  MY amended return was submitted via Turbo Tax on 7/31/21.  IRS received this on 7/31/21.  It has now been over 7 MONTHS.  Calling them does zero good.  Per their prompts that make me go through about 10 steps to get a message saying" we have received your amended return, sorry it is taking so long".  OR,  Sorry no one available at this time.  NOW this is NOT how our government or a government agency is supposed to work!  I am appalled at this.  Going on 8 months?  I owe them money this year and sure wish I could take out the $1000+ they owe me from this **bleep** return!  Sickening to me and I am sure other AMERICANS!!!!

Yes they can be e filed.  I did mine e filing and they received it.

MY amended return is taking so far 7 plus months.  They received it on 7/31/21.  I was told by one agent it is taking 5 plus months now.  So, I guess I patiently wait for the over $1000 owed to me!

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

@medakee14 The IRS says, "It’s taking us more than 20 weeks (instead of up to 16 weeks) to process amended returns. Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS."

I had a client who filed in mid-May who did not receive a refund until end-November (approximately 6 1/2 months).

You can check Where's My Amended Return?

And at the end of the year the IRS was still behind processing returns.  They still had 6 million to process.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies