Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I print form 8962 from my Turbo Tax account?

I already complete the amended Health part and fill in the 1095 A. Now I need to print the completed 8962 form and mail to IRS.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
eeh60
Returning Member

I NEED MY 8962 2019 FORM

@eeh60 wrote:

I NEED MY 8962 2019 FORM

TurboTax would have prepared the Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, if and only if you entered a Form 1095-A in the program.  If the Form 8962 is not included in your tax return you did not enter a Form 1095-A which you should have received from one of the state Marketplace Exchanges for your health insurance.

You will need to amend your 2019 tax return for the Form 1095-A and the Form 8962 as requested by the IRS.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return originally completed and filed using the TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-my-2018-turbotax-online-return/01/9...

To enter your Form 1095-A -

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Deductions and Credits
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Medical
  • On Affordable Care Act (Form 1095-A), click the start or update button

Or enter 1095-a in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to 1095-a

I entered the information for my 1095-A and the form 8962 was not included in my tax return when I printed it out. I went back, amended it (the information for the 1095-A was still there, but I deleted and re-entered it) and the form STILL does not show up when printing to pdf. I am at my wits end with this - I spent an hour on hold to talk with someone about this, only to have the call drop at the beginning of the conversation. They did not call me back, despite confirming my phone number and email address, and when I called the help line again, I was told the wait time would be yet another hour. After spending $80 on deluxe, this is a total ripoff with the return missing a required form. The turbotax printout with filing instructions did not even mention including the 8962 form and I wouldn't have even caught the mistake prior to mailing it out if it weren't for reviewing the instructions on the 1095-A. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

If you don't have a net premium tax credit, Form 8962 will not generate.   Congress made legislative changes regarding the Net Premium Tax Credits (PTC) as part of the RESCUE Act.   The changes are only effective for tax year 2020.    When you E-file, the 1095-A will get sent with your tax return, but Form 8962 is not applicable in your situation.   You can read about the changes in the IRS link below.

You do not have to include Form 8962 unless you have a Net Premium Tax Credit on Line 26.   Since TurboTax has removed form 8962 from your return, you can rest assured that you have no PTC to claim.   If your 1095-A and Form 8962 generated a PTC, it would be on Line 8 of Schedule 3.   You can preview your Form 1040 and Schedules 1-3 by using these instructions.  

victoriabrobst@g    From 04/09/21 - IRS suspends requirement to repay excess advance payments of the 2020 Premium Tax Credit; those claiming net Premium Tax Credit must file Form 8962.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi Dawn. Thanks for providing this info. I only wish I had found it before the entire process of trying to get TurboTax to generate it (after following the posted instructions diligently) had me thinking that I had lost my mind. 

So, to clarify: I completed and submitted my taxes well before they even started accepting the returns. The IRS ended up accepting on the day they opened it up and a month later I received a letter 12C requesting a completed form 8962 and a copy of the 1095-A form to be submitted before they will issue my return. My question is, do I only need to send in a 1095-A form now? The IRS obviously already has a copy of my 1095-A since they were the ones who notified me that it even existed. But I have received no further communications from them that instruct that the 8962 is no longer required, so I am pretty confused on what my next steps are supposed to be so that I can get them to release my returns. 

I appreciate any help or guidance that you may provide. Have a great weekend! 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Yes.  Send them the 1095-A to the fax number or address on the notice.   They most likely sent out the notice before the changes were made.   @mcdowell-joshua

That was the original reason your return was pulled for manual entry because the 8962 was not included.   Now that it has been pulled, it has to be manually processed.   When you send in the 1095-A, the will start processing your return again.   They know there is no 8962.

The Internal Revenue Service announced today that taxpayers with excess APTC for 2020 are not required to file Form 8962, Premium Tax Credit, or report an excess advance Premium Tax Credit repayment on their 2020 Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR, Schedule 2, Line 2, when they file.

The process remains unchanged for taxpayers claiming a net PTC for 2020. They must file Form 8962 when they file their 2020 tax return. See the Instructions for Form 8962 for more information. Taxpayers claiming a net PTC should respond to an IRS notice asking for more information to finish processing their tax return.

Taxpayers who have already filed their 2020 tax return and who have excess AP TC for 2020 do not need to file an amended tax return or contact the IRS. The IRS will reduce the excess APTC repayment amount to zero with no further action needed by the taxpayer. The IRS will reimburse people who have already repaid any excess advance Premium Tax Credit on their 2020 tax return.  Taxpayers who received a letter about a missing Form 8962 should disregard the letter if they have excess APTC for 2020. The IRS will process tax returns without Form 8962 for tax year 2020 by reducing the excess advance premium tax credit repayment amount to zero.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This is excellent information, thank you. By far the most helpful and complete information I have received from the questions I have posted to this community. I appreciate your time and energy in walking me through this. 

Have a great week!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies