Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Taj31

How do I know if I filed a state return?

I am amending my 2021 return. The amend process is asking me for the state refund amount from the original return. I have the orginial in front of me but can't find the state refund amount on there. Does this mean I never filed a state return? I  can't recall if I did or not but I also don't see it on bank statements. Sorry if I sound like a dunce.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Google and ask google what line the refund is on.  It will depend on which states.

If you used TurboTax to prepare the 2021 return, then your online account should tell you if your 2021 state return was filed and accepted, and your account should show whether you were supposed to receive a state refund or if you owed tax due to the state.   TurboTax will not know, however, if you actually received the refund or paid the state; TT never gets information from the state after you file so only your own bank or credit card records would show if you paid your tax due or received a refund.

As suggested by another user---it would be helpful to know what state you are talking about.  We do not know which line of the return you need to look at.  There are thirty-seven states with a state income tax, and their forms are all different.  We cannot direct you to a line on the state form unless we know the state.

Edited for additional comment:  Whatever state return form you are looking at, the tax due amount or the refund amount is going to be near the bottom of the form.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Not sure what you are amending or why----but in general the only reason you would need to enter a state refund you received would be if you itemized deductions on your tax return----like mortgage interest, property tax, etc.  and received a state refund.   If you itemized then the state refund you received was taxable income.   If you just used your standard deduction, then the state refund is not taxable.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies