Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

k8t22

How do I find the information that brokerage did not provide?

I cannot find the cost basis of stock that was sold? I’m being taxed on all profits from the sale
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

only the brokerage can answer your question.   find out why and then post back and we may be able to give you some ideas.

JosephS1
Expert Alumni

As Mike9241 said, you should contact your broker to see if they have at least an estimate of your cost basis.  If they cannot provide even an estimation, you will need to do a little research.

If the stocks you sold had reinvested dividends accumulate over the years it will behoove you to find as many of the quarterly and/or yearly statements you have received and can retrieve since you first owned it.  Reinvested dividends are income in the year they were used to purchase additional shares of stock and add to your basis.

Also, if you know the approximate dates you purchased the stock that was sold, a website such as bigcharts.com can assist by giving you the price of the stock for the approximate date you acquired it.  Google may also help with the stock price if, again, you know the approximate date you purchased it.

@k8t22 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies