Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ewoc15280

How do I enter my 1099 if my tax return has already been submitted?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

To amend your return you need to log into your TurboTax account to see an option to Amend a Filed and Accepted Return. Click on that to start the amending process.  Once you are finished making changes to your return you will need to print it out, sign, date and mail it to the IRS.

Please see the below FAQ for more information on amending a 2020 tax return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/amending/help/how-do-i-amend-my-turbotax-online-return/00/27577

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You need to wait until you hear if your already-efiled return is accepted or rejected by the IRS.   While you may have to ultimately amend, you might luck out if the IRS rejects your return.

If rejected, that's the easiest to fix.  You just make the correction, add any additional form, etc. and resubmit the efile.

It accepted, however, then the only way to correct is with a formal amended tax return Form 1040X.

Unfortunately, due to late tax law changes the IRS will not even open up to start processing until February 12, 2021, except for a few returns they pull early for testing purposes. In the meantime the return will sit on TurboTax servers with a "pending" status but cannot be retrieved to cancel or correct. So unless yours is one of the very few returns pulled early by the IRS, you won't know anything until February 12 or soon thereafter.

So in the meantime do NOT make any changes in your return until you find out if it's accepted or rejected by the IRS. If you end up having to prepare an amended return, it has to start out exactly as it was when originally filed.

I corrected a typo above.  I typed "1040" when I meant to type "1040X."   I have now corrected it, but you may have been emailed the answer with the typo.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies