nnelson2723

How do I amend my tax return due to the American Rescue Plan?

I received an email stating that now that my AGI is lower I am eligible for additional deductions and credits. And the next step says to amend my federal tax return and not the state return. I am not sure what I am supposed to amend and I do not want to mess my return up on my first amendment. Please forgive me if this is so obviously easy and I'm missing the point

You do not need to amend your tax return for the unemployment compensation exclusion.  The IRS will be calculating the refund for the UCE and send a refund if you are eligible.

Go to this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-begins-correcting-tax-returns-for-unemployment-compensation-income-...

nnelson2723

Thank you I appreciate it, but my email said that I needed to amend my federal tax return. 

fanfare

@nnelson2723 

You must wait to see what the IRS did,

Then compare the IRs refund with the refund difference showing on your TurboTax return.

If those are the same, you are done,

If not you can amend for the extra money.