turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I amend my return and not claim myself? I accidentally claimed myself as a dependent and my parents are actually claiming me.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

How do I amend my return and not claim myself? I accidentally claimed myself as a dependent and my parents are actually claiming me.

I should have said I was a dependent but I claimed myself

Did you say you could not be claimed as someone else’s dependent, but it turns out your parent(s) can claim you?  Now your parents’ return is being rejected when they e-file, or it will be rejected.  That means your parents must print, sign, and mail their return.  They can still claim you as a dependent, but they cannot e-file now.  

Your part in fixing this is to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received you refund.  THEN you need to file an amended return, called a 1040X, to change the way you answered that question in Personal Info about whether you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 1040X—it cannot be e-filed. You might need to repay some of your refund.

To amend your return: 

If you need to enter additional information, delete something, or change something on the the tax return you already filed, you have to wait until your return has been fully processed, then you can prepare an amended return, called a 1040X.  You cannot e-file a 1040X.  It must be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-a-2016-return-in-turbotax 

After you print, sign and mail your amended return—1040X— to the IRS wait about 3 weeks and then you can begin checking on it at the IRS website.  Be aware that it can take at least 3-4 months for an amended return to be fully processed (or sometimes even longer.)

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x/amended-return-frequently-asked-q...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
tedenaclark
Returning Member

What if you cant use the software to do this because you used the free edition and it is past the 10/15 deadline to use the website. Now you have to use the actual form and there is no where on the 1040X form to do this. Do you just explain it in Section III?? Thanks

You could just wait until December when the online program comes back online ... then you can use the amendment program for free.  Your folks need to mail in their return which they can do before you mail in your amended return ...so  your return can wait until later. 

OR ... you can fill in the 1040X manually ... and you do need to fill in Section 3 however you also need to fill in part 1  and possibly page columns A,B & C on the first page. 

I have the 1040x but I am unsure of how or where to fill it out. I am my parents dependent, but all the options are about dependents if you have kids.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If your parents claimed youi as a dependent, they will have to amend their return to change that.  Then you should wait 4 weeks (So they don't get crossed up) and mail your amended return claiming yourself.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies