turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tbrainard

How do I amend my illinois tax return in the software without buying the second state. I had two states on my 2016 taxes but only wan to amend my illinois taxes

I had to buy the CD again to amend my 2016 state tax return. For 2016 I had to have two states Massachusetts and Illinois. I bought the second state when I did  my taxes in early 2017. I only need to change my Illinois taxes for 2016, but it won't let me open the file until I buy Massachusetts. I don't want to buy Massachusetts again and shouldn't need it since I am only working Illinois taxes. How do I get around this

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How do I amend my illinois tax return in the software without buying the second state. I had two states on my 2016 taxes but only wan to amend my illinois taxes

Why did you buy the 2016 CD again?   If you needed to reinstall 2016 software to prepare the amended return but had lost the CD, TurboTax Support could have provided you a free download to replace it, including any additional state programs you paid for.

You can phone TurboTax Support and ask for the MA state download so your file will open.

Use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number.  Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Mon-Fri.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

While you have them on the phone, also ask them if they will do anything about your redundant purchase of the 2016 CD.  There is a 60-day unconditional moneyback guarantee on desktop software.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Why did you buy the 2016 CD again?   If you needed to reinstall 2016 software to prepare the amended return but had lost the CD, TurboTax Support could have provided you a free download to replace it, including any additional state programs you paid for.

You can phone TurboTax Support and ask for the MA state download so your file will open.

Use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number.  Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Mon-Fri.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

While you have them on the phone, also ask them if they will do anything about your redundant purchase of the 2016 CD.  There is a 60-day unconditional moneyback guarantee on desktop software.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies